Monday, April 15, 2013

Calaveras Big Trees State Park - April 2013


First off, I want to apologize to all the people who had to walk around my tripod and wait for me to take my pictures. The Calaveras Big Trees State Park is just such a nice place to take some serious pictures, and there are plenty of volunteers reminding you to stay on the sometimes muddy path. The park is about 30 minutes past Murphys along Highway 4 in the Sierra Nevadas and has a large grove of sequoias that are very old and very tall. This is probably why the park is named Big Trees.


I took the North Grove Trail which is about 1.5 miles long and close to the parking lot. It should take a normal person about an hour to hike the loop, but toting photo equipment and stopping all the time made my trip nearly three hours! Tall sequoias are always much more impressive than their SUV namesakes seen in a neighborhood Target parking lot. The hike is perfect for nearly everybody and has lots of big trees!


The loop takes you past all the key sights of the park, although you need to hike further to see the Tuolumne River. If you go, make sure to bring some water and food since the park is pretty basic. And yes, part of the trail involves walking through a tree. I was fortunate to have a warm, clear spring day for my adventure which made the pictures even better. Please enjoy the rest below:





No comments:

Post a Comment