Sunday, June 16, 2013

Savannah - June 2013


So, you are probably wondering why I am starting my blog on Savannah, GA with a picture of a BMW. Upon arrival at the Atlanta Airport, I headed to the rental car agency and was handed the keys to a BMW X3 at the discounted Costco rate. Needless to say, this was an unexpected surprise that went a long way on my Deep South tour!

Savannah is one of the last great Southern cities in the United States with roots to Colonial times and lots of history. The town is on the Atlantic coast and is still a port with connections inland and overseas. All the history and old style makes this a perfect place to visit, although the open container laws and party atmosphere also attract many party people.


My flight arrived in the afternoon, then it was a 4 hour drive to Savannah. It was hot and humid the entire trip which was expected. Southern heat is a different kind of heat for a boy raised in the desert, but fortunately A/C is everywhere. To help fend off jet lag, my first night was spent on a night ghost tour. Savannah is a very haunted city with lots of spiritual activity. I did not see any ghosts or orbs, but there is an undeniable energy in the city with lots of pirate, slave, and bizarre activities.


Most businesses in the South still observe the Sabbath and are closed on Sundays. This makes for a perfect beach day. The above picture is from Coligny Beach on Hilton Head Island in South Carolina. Savannah is right on the border, and the beach is very popular with the locals. The facilities were amazing, although the lack of lockers prevented a full dip in the Atlantic. For those not familiar with Atlantic beaches, they are usually wide, shallow, and warm making for near perfect conditions. The water is much warmer than the Pacific which was a treat for my tired feet.


You have to pace yourself in 90 degree heat when the humidity is amazingly high. The above riverwalk picture shows downtown Savannah. The place is much like Pier 39 for those familiar with San Francisco. The historic area is very compact and easy to explore on foot, however after a few hours of sweat - and a massive thunderstorm - I headed back to the Atlantic ocean, this time to the local Tybee Island.


Savannah is also home to a Single A minor league baseball team, the Savannah Sand Gnats. Mondays are dollar night with $1 tickets, $1 hot dogs, and $1 Natural Light beers. Since I already had some excellent BBQ - see my separate Southern Food posting for more info - I spent my $5 on a ticket and beer. Unfortunately the game was called due to the storms, but fortunately I did not lose much money.

I am glad Sherman spared Savannah. The rest of the South now awaits! Below are the rest of my pictures for you to enjoy:










No comments:

Post a Comment